Thursday, December 10, 2009

Julie and Julia

After watching this movie for a second time, I am reminded how much I love food and to cook. I was talking with Marshall and my Mom the other night about wanting to go to culinary school when I finish my Master's degree. Do I want to be a Chef? Not particularily. I love watching the Food Network and the Next Top Chef, but I feel like Next Top Chef is so pretentious. I like good food, that is not difficult to make (from scratch, if possible) and tastes incredible.

Not too long ago, I made chicken with a buerre blanc, with is a classic French sauce. Sure, you could consider that pretentious, but it was SOOOO good. But how could it not be, butter and white wine vinegar? Yum.

With my background in Hotel Administration (Bachelor's degree), Sustainable Tourism (soon-to-be Master's degree) and love of cooking, I have thought (and been told many times by Mom) that opening a Bed and Breakfast would be right up my alley. Not one of those cutesy ones with weird names for the rooms and flowers or porcelin dolls (going from my memory of Lorelai's rant on Gilmore Girls), but classy, homey and fun. I think I would be good at running a B&B or even an Inn, only question is, is that type of business viable?

Anyway, back to Julie and Julia. I love that Julia pushed to get into Le Cordon Bleu, and to get her diploma. I never really watched Julia's cooking shows, I grew up on PBS cooking shows, though. The Frugal Gormet was a staple in my house. It used to freak me out how I would say outloud something like, "What about the corn?" and then Jeff Smith would say to the viewers "Now don't you worry about that corn." It made me feel like he heard me and was answering my questions. Kind of spooky! I learned to cook from my mom, dad, and grandma. But i really believe that taking culinary classes in school at New Mexico State and UNLV pushed me to that point where I make my macaronni and cheese from scratch, every time. I have learned the health benefits of cooking, instead of reheating, or going out, Now only if I could learn portion control! I really love macaronni and cheese! :)

Anyway, I think I am procrastinating on finishing my final paper for this semester, by dreaming about culinary school and food. Back to the grindstone. I will put my ideas about culinary school and owning a B&B back on the shelf, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment