Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Valentines Day!

This blog is supposed to be about food and travel, as a way of figuring out what I want to do with my professional life. I had a very nice Valentines with my husband and wanted to share two recipes I "used" for our dinner. I say "used" because I like to find recipes and tweak them to be my own.

I made Marshall his favorite steak, a filet. And while I was going to make twice-baked potatoes, I decided to make MY favorite, mac and cheese. I also made roasted asparagus. For dessert, I wanted creme brulee, but most recipes make 6 to 8 servings, and that is just too much.

I found a recipe by Emeril Lagasse for a Lemon Scented Creme Brulee for Two. I substituted vanilla for the lemon zest, using about 1 teaspoon. I also omitted chilling the custard before baking, since it did not need to be infused.


Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, is a favorite of mine, and I looked to her Truffled Macaroni and Cheese for guidance on baked mac and cheese. I was unable to find the truffle butter, so I mixed Ina's recipe with my own. I omitted the mushrooms from this recipe, but used her choices for cheese, gruyere and white cheddar. I also used my secret ingredient, horseradish mustard, that Marshall and I get in Gatlinburg. To make eating mac and cheese more friendly to the waist, I do not use milk. I use a couple tablespoons of half and half, and then use chicken stock for the rest of the liquid.



I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do!

1 comment:

  1. good job! looks delish! :) and the creme brulee in the shape of a heart is adorable! <3

    www.hiyaluv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete