Wednesday, December 15, 2010

10 Days Until Christmas!

I thought about creating a Top 10 List for Christmas, but in all honesty, I am not sure I could limit it to 10 things, and there is no way I would be able to actually rank my favorites. So over the next week and a half, I plan to list my favorite traditions and memories. I wish I had pictures to go with a lot of my stories, but some go back SO far (like 20 plus years!), you will just have to use your imagination.

So for this post I will focus on traditions.

Growing up we had several tradtions. The most memorable (and biggest pain in the butt!) were putting out luminarias, or more accurately, farolitos. For those who are unaware, these are the little brown paper bags, filled with sand, and then a small candle is placed inside. (I am sure somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I know the significance, but could not tell you now.)  The reason this is a pain in the butt, is because my loving and caring mother is a bit of a snob and stickler when it comes to her luminarias (and wouldn't you know, she's raised at least one more luminaria snob). Here are the luminaria rules:
  1. Bags must be folded neatly, without tearing. Torn bags are not to be used. (True luminarias have the top of the bag folded down, and this is a true art form!)
  2. Bags must be placed in straight lines, and evenly spaced apart. (There was actually a stick we used to ensure even spacing!)
  3. The seems of the bags go to the BACK, ALWAYS. That way when lit up, you can not see the shadow across the front of the bag.
These rules sound easy enough, but trust me, they are concrete, and must be followed to the T. I have to admit, though, when followed, the results are beautiful!


Pictures of Christmas Eve Luminaras

Getting ready to measure correct distance 2005

Making sure all seems are to the BACK 2005

Lighting candles 2005

Mom and Dad's House 2004

Marshall preparing luminaras at our house 2006

Marshall preparing luminarias at our house 2007

Our house, Athens, GA 2006

Christmas 2007

Other traditions:
  • Posole for Christmas breakfast
  • Reading 'Twas The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve, and in later years reading the Christmas story from the bible
  • Putting up my mom's Village (which I should say was another undertaking!)
  • Opening family Christmas presents on Christmas Eve, and Santa gifts on Christmas morning
  • Friends and family Christmas party at mom and dad's house on Christmas Eve (there were years that the boys and I would start kicking people out so we could open gifts)
  • Going to our grandparents, Bam and Papa's house on Christmas morning
  • Listening to Christmas music, first on Aunt Kathy's record player, then on reel-to-reel tapes, and finally on CDs (favorites around our house on record were Elvis and Cristy Lane, followed by George Strait, Reba McEntire and Alabama on cassette tape)

No comments:

Post a Comment