Wednesday, December 22, 2010

3 Days Until Christmas!

I LOVE Christmas movies!!! I love them so much that I look forward to Christmas in July (on certain cable stations) so I can watch Christmas movies.

Strangely enough, there are some Christmas movies, like Its A Wonderful Life, that I have still never seen in their entirety! I do have Its A Wonderful Life on my DVR, and plan to watch it this year, but there are so many movies that I love, I sometimes would rather just rewatch them.

A favorite from childhood is The Night They Saved Christmas, starring Jacqueline Smith and Art Carney. Who wouldn't love a movie about oil drillers trying to blow up Santa Claus? Just kidding, but that is the main premise of the movie. And who hasn't wanted their very own Reindee Zephyr? All in all, a great movie, and I wish they would show it at appropriate times (instead of 4AM! I love the movies, but that is just crazy!).

My two favorite Christmas movies from my childhood are The Christmas Gift and A Smoky Mountain Christmas. In The Christmas Gift, John Denver plays an architect sent to a small Colorado town, to scout land for a ski resort. I remember being 10 years old, and saying that I would NEVER let someone buy my land for resorts. And now here I am, looking to go into tourism development! I guess the one bright star that doesn't make me feel bad is that I am working to create sustainable development, and concerned with local communities. But I digress. :)

A Smoky Mountain Christmas is about a country music singer, played by none other than Dolly Parton. She is tired of her glitzy, non-private life, and heads to her best friends parents cabin in the Smokies. There she encounters a group of runaways, and they change eachother lives forever! At least that is how I look at it.

I think I love Christmas movies for the same reason I love romantic comedies. They are heartwarming stories about family, friends, and love. There is always some sort of moral you can take away from story, and they make you feel all warm and cuddly from the inside out!

In the past several years, there are newer movies that have joined my ever-growing list of favorite Christmas movies. Here is a list of a few of them:

  • The orginal Miracle on 34th Street
  • The Christmas Card
  • Comfort and Joy
  • Recipe for a Perfect Christmas
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Holiday in Handcuffs
  • A Holiday to Remember
And we cannot forget the Christmas movie to end all Christmas movies! The BB Gun Movie! A Christmas Story. And with cable channels like TBS playing it for 24 hours on Christmas Day, how could anyone forget that Ralphie wanted a "Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time" and how he's rebuffed time and again with "You'll shoot your eye out!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment